Thursday, August 22, 2019

Dreamtime Fantasy Authors Presents: 20 Facts About "Nicole Falling: A Southwestern Horror Story"



  1. The diner in the story was once a real setting. The train car idea came from a restaurant my sister and her husband owned, which I worked at during summers when I was a teen.
  2. There are so many deserted towns in the southwest, any of them could have been the setting.
  3. My wife and I nearly ran out of gas, on a stretch of highway between Vaughn and Roswell New Mexico. That lonely stretch of highway was in my mind when I wrote the story.
  4. In the desert, darkness is real. With no source of light and a cloudy sky, the night is near absolute.
  5. The stars in the desert make for an inspiring view, if you ever have the chance to see the night’s sky in the clear desert air, I highly recommend it.
  6. For me, the horror of the setting was more in the characters’ mind. The unknown was the greatest threat.
  7. What some might consider supernatural normally has a mundane source.
  8. People should not be judged by their outward appearance. Given a certain set of circumstances, all hell might break loose. The monster can lurk in anyone’s heart.
  9. I wrote the story while living in China.
  10. I’m certain the feelings of solitude I felt in China played into the story.
  11. The car, at the beginning of the story, is my wife’s dream car.
  12. I borrowed Nicole’s name from a relative.
  13. The characters don’t represent any one person, they are an amalgamation of different people I have encountered over the years.
  14. The idea of a seemingly mundane setting turning into a crazy place filled the death seemed like an outstanding location for a horror story.
  15. I’m writing these 20 facts while in Bali for two months.
  16. My wife and I are living out of suitcases while trying to travel around the world.
  17. I release at least one novel per month, while also working on short stories and other future projects. I write a lot…
  18. Often when I start a story, I have no idea of the ending. It isn’t until the middle that it comes to me.
  19. The darkness represents the unknown we all have in our lives.
  20. Technology fails the people stranded in the diner.

<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>


If you found these facts interesting, be sure to look for "Nicole Falling: A Southwestern Horror Story" within the covers of Dreamtime Damsels and Fatal Femmes, by the Dreamtime Fantasy Authors!

No comments:

Post a Comment