Friday, September 6, 2019

Bookish Blog Hop's Autumn Hop Day 6: What Are Some Incredible Non-Fiction Books?


Leslie Conzatti (Me!)

For my part, I don’t read much nonfiction--not because it’s bad or I don’t like a dose of reality now and then, but because the fiction world is so profuse and plentiful!
 
An epic night worthy of a blog post!
That being said, there are a few memoirs that I’ve read over the last couple years that I found highly enjoyable! 

The first one being You’re Never Weird On The Internet, Almost by Felicia Day. Actress, Producer, Entrepreneur, Internet Star, and all-around AWESOME human being, I actually got her book at a signing where I waited in a bookstore for FOUR HOURS to actually meet her, and it was everything I hoped it would be! As for her book, she wrote about her background, her upbringing, all the things that made her weird and different, the unique way she carved out a path for herself, and her battle with mental health issues as well as physical health obstacles and financial challenges along the way. She does it with humor, sarcasm, and a heaping dose of vulnerability that makes her so endearing to follow! If you’ve ever felt “strange” or “misplaced”, or maybe you’ve felt the pressure of other people’s expectations on your life--Felicia invites you to “embrace your weird” and she’s got plenty of wisdom she’s learned from her own mistakes, that we could all use!

The second memoir I read and loved was As You Wish, a memoir by Cary Elwes, chronicling his journey as the inimitable Westley from the cult fantasy classic The Princess Bride. I grew up watching the movie, I loved the book… and the “behind-the-scenes/making-of” anecdotes Cary shares had me in tears, I was laughing so hard!


Elizabeth Means

Wow this one was hard because I read a lot of nonfiction from WW1, WW2, True crimes, and American history. There's just too many to name so here are a few I've read and loved:

--Death March Escape: The Remarkable Story of a Man Who Twice Escaped the Nazi Holocaust by Jack J. Hersch

--Into the Storm: Two Ships, a Deadly Hurricane, and an Epic Battle for Survival by Tristram Korten

--Blood and Thunder: An Epic of the American West and Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II's Greatest Rescue Mission by Hampton Sides

Jo Linsdell 

I don’t tend to read much non fiction. When I do it’s usually books related to writing and marketing. The last non fiction book I read that I gave a 5 star rating to was The Bestseller Code: Anatomy of a Blockbuster Novel by Jodie Archer. Another I gave 5 stars to is The Tao of Book Publicity by Paula Margulies. Both great books for authors of all levels. 

Laura Doherty 
Tales Of A Natural Spoonie

I really enjoy reading autobiographies but I find non-fiction books really hit and miss even when they are about subjects that fascinate me. Ones I have read in the last 12 months that I have loved are:

Bare Reality: 100 Women, Their Breasts, Their Stories by Laura Dodsworth - In this powerful book a 100 women share “un-airbrushed photographs of their breasts alongside honest, courageous, powerful and humorous stories about their breasts and their lives.” The wide variety of women who took part in this project make it an amazingly fascinating and powerful book to read.

I read Women Who Run With The Wolves: Contacting the Power of the Wild Woman by Clarissa Pinkola Estes when I was about 21. It was an amazingly powerful book and one I have returned to many times over the years. I always find it helps me to reconnect with myself and who I am at my very core.

Moonology: Working with the Magic of Lunar Cycles by Yasmin Boland - As a holistic therapist I have always worked with nature when it comes to my own and my clients well being. However Moonology allowed me to take this to another level. Since closing my business to concentrate on my own health it has allowed me to see and find patterns in how my health fluctuates.

How about you? What are some non-fiction books you've enjoyed that might be interesting to others? Let us know in the comments!
Meanwhile, here's all the questions we'll be exploring this month!

2 comments:

  1. Great answers - particularly interested in Cary Elwes' memoir but they do all sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete