Monday, December 23, 2019

A Bookish Blog Hop: Winter 2019! Day 23--Who Would You Invite To A Literary Dinner Party?



Becki Svare - A Book Lover’s Adventures (www.abookloversadventures.com)

I love this question! It’s really hard to answer, but I love the idea of having a dinner party with all my favorite bookish people there.

So, here’s my list of who I’d invite and why:

Jane Austen - she seems like she’d be a fun, witty person to have at a dinner party. She’s sassy enough to be interesting, but polite enough to put you in your place without being offended.

Severus Snape - Loathed potions teacher from the Harry Potter series, Professor Snape seems like he’d keep things snarky and real at a dinner party.

Brenee Brown - Author of several self-help books and social scientist, Brown seems like she would be extremely interesting to talk to and would give a completely different view of things.

Clive Cussler - I’ve actually met Cussler before. He’s a salty old sailor with a fantastic imagination, so I think he would be fun to throw into the mix.

Leslie Conzatti-- (Me!)
Okay!!

I’m not good with arranging dinner parties--far too introverted! It took me a really long time to decide which characters and authors and writerly people I’d invite… But I think I have a pretty decent collection!

The first person I thought of was the main character of Amy HopkinsTalented series, Emma Beaumarchais. She’s a friendly, down-to-earth, energetic and thoughtful character--and somebody I’d dearly love to be friends with! (She can even bring along Gibble, Lenny, and Barg, if she wants!)

Then of course I’d invite all the March sisters from Lousia May Alcott’s Little Women. I have always loved that novel, the sisters kind of felt like my own--I think they’d like to come to a party like this one, particularly Jo!

I’d invite Baran and Raina from Kimberly RogersTherian Way series--a tiger shifter and a leopard shifter, respectively, these characters I quickly became OBSESSED with--I loved the series so much! Such vivid scenes, and the personalities of the characters (especially these two) just shined out of every page! Definitely inviting them.

I’d also have Sally and Xander (maybe also Xander’s sister Blayde, just to keep an eye on things!) from S. E. Anderson’s Starstruck. This was a recent read, a new author for me--but I was instantly smitten! If I had the power to bring them into existence by inviting them to my party, I wouldn’t hesitate, because I’m intensely curious what they would “really” look like!

I’d invite both Lord Peter Whimsey and Hercule Poirot, as soon as I would attempt to get Dorothy L. Sayers and Agatha Christie in the same room (can you imagine??), just to see what might happen. (How long one would take to annoy the bejeezus out of the other, perhaps?)

I’d invite more authors, too, just to pick their brains and nerd out about the books I’ve read and loved that they’ve written: David Baldacci and Anthony Horowitz; Jim Butcher and R. R. Virdi (I actually almost considered inviting their characters… but maybe I don’t trust either Harry Dresden or Vince Graves enough to reach out to them! Maybe I’d consider Tatiana and Cassie from Virdi’s Dangerous Ways… but that might be as far as I’ll go for the sake of this party!); oh, and I'm totally inviting the "Angel Squad" from C. L. Coffey's LouisiAngel series! Just to get Angel, Kurt, Veronica, and Joshua in the same room again! Oh, and Trinity and Bobby from Cyn Mackley's Goode-Grace Mystery series. I’d invite Cornelia Funke, Marissa Meyer, Naomi Novik, Maggie Stiefvater, and C. S. Lewis, since I loved the fantasy novels from each of them, and I’d really want to express my appreciation!

At this point, I realize that my party invite list now contains over thirty people… So I’ll just stop there and call it good, before I run out of table space!


Kim www.writersideoflife.com

I think a small, intimate group of bookish people would be ideal.

So I’d invite Diana Gabaldon, author of the Outlander series, because she knows a lot about everything and always has interesting anecdotes. Neil Gaiman would be another fab guest because his mind does weird and wonderful things. I’m sure I would have fascinating conversations with Daphne du Maurier too.
In terms of fictional characters, I’d ask Lizzie from Pride and Prejudice (and I suppose Darcy can come along) and also Neville and Lupin from the Harry Potter series because, well, they are awesome.

<<<<<>>>>>

How about you? Who would you invite (authors and characters alike!) to a dinner party? Comment below and join the discussion!

1 comment:

  1. These are all great selections! What a tough question though. I think I'd probably invite Christopher Moore, because he's off the wall. And for fictional, Hermoine, because I'm told we have the same personality. lol

    ReplyDelete