Saturday, October 3, 2020

Serial Saturday: "Priscilla Sum" Part 30


Part 30

Trees cracked and groaned all around me. I tripped and stumbled my way down whatever clear path I could see two paces ahead of me. The wind picked up, but I couldn't tell if it was helping me or trying to impede my progress. I couldn't even tell which direction I ran, whether it was toward safety or to some hitherto unexplored corner of Fourtouna.

"Pris! This way... Over here!" A voice screamed--Jordyn?
I tried to make my way over to her--I thought I could see a flash of her bright-red backpack--but a massive tree tumbled and curled between us with all the grace and mobility of a giant octopus. One of the writhing roots wrapped around my waist, jerking me backward. It was like being attached to a free-hanging roller coaster with just a belt to secure me. Branches and roots whipped around me, scratching my face and my arms and legs. The scraping ended and I came to a stop when the back of my head slammed against a large boulder. The root gripping my waist had slipped in a groove down the middle and gotten trapped. At least it wasn't pulling anymore, but it was definitely too thick for me to try and escape it at all. I stared up to see the triple peaks of The Brothers looming over me against a churning, swirling sky.

I heard shouting. How badly I wanted to jump or wave or find some way to signal the others that I was down here off a cliff, pinned to an outcropping.
"Come on, man!" Someone called, closer than ever.
"Dude, look out!" called another.
Hope surged in me.
"HELP!" I screamed as loud as I could. "I'M DOWN HERE!"

A dirty mop of blonde hair popped out from behind one of the Brothers.
"Pris?" Kayce cried in surprise.
I waved and pointed to the trapped root. "I can't move!"
"Hold on!" Kayce called down to me, and the head disappeared.
I rolled my eyes and tried to relax with the uneven edges of the boulder digging into my back. As if not moving was even optional for me!

I heard the other person (Derrick? Or maybe Tony) start whooping again, and then Kayce came into view, working his way down the cliff toward me.
"You're okay," he spoke like seasoned lifeguard calming a terrified child. "I've got you. It's gonna be okay."

He knelt next to me and pulled out his army-surplus pocket knife. Working quickly, he hacked the root in two and pulled me to safety.
I caught my breath with a sigh of relief. "Thanks."
"No problem," Kayce offered me a half-smile. "Ready to keep going?"
I glanced around. I still couldn't orient myself without knowing where the sun was--and it had started to rain. "Going where?" I asked. "Back to camp?"
Kayce shrugged. "That does seem like the best option, in spite of what we've discovered about their ulterior motives. If the whole island is freaking out like this area," he gestured to the cracking cliffs and the stirring trees around us, "then probably their first instinct is going to be to leave as soon as possible, and we don't exactly have another way off Fourtouna."

I nodded as more trees swayed and tumbled of their own accord. It was only a matter of time before the demon figured out where we were. "Works for me!" I replied.
Kayce beckoned to me. "Come on," he said. "This way."
He started off down a narrow trail along the cliffside, which led us to a much wider path. Once there, he paused to check his compass. "Okay, so we know that the dig site is on the southeast side of Fourtouna, and the docks are just west of that. If we head southwest," he pointed in the same direction our path led, "we should eventually meet up with it."
I bobbed my head. "I'll follow you."

We set out for the edge of the forest. Thunder rumbled overhead, bringing a larger downpour, and a thrashing wind battered us from all sides, occasionally driving branches, trees, and other debris across our path.
"Not far now!" I heard Kayce call over the clashing branches. I was a bit surprised to have covered in just this short while the same distance it had taken us about two days to cover--albeit, two days in which we weren't running terrified for our lives.
I came to a full stop as a tree thudded to the ground right beside me. Somehwere in the midst of my musings, I had lost track of my guide.
"Kayce?" I shouted over the storm.
"... scilla!" I heard the last few syllables of my name, but I couldn't discern where it was coming from.
A deep, guttural moan issued behind me, and I saw a black shape shifting through the landscape. I could see glowing yellow-orange eyes in the middle of its face, and the curling points of horns atop its head. Egamad!

It spoke, the voice hoarse and grating, making my skin crawl with each sound. "What have we here?"
A cluster of branches shaped like a hand swung right toward me, so I ducked and booked it out of there as fast as I could. I tried to remember which direction Kayce had pointed when he mentioned the base camp, but mostly I wanted to get away from Egamad.

I crested an incline, but instead of a hill, I found myself staring at a steep cliff. The wind was worse than ever, and I turned to brace myself for another attack from the demon.
"Why do you run, foolish mortal?" His voice seemed to issue from everywhere in the forest at once. "I only want what's mine--you have stolen it for yourself, have you not?"

The bracelet's hard edge pressed against my leg. His words dredged up the memory of reaching into that eye socket, pulling it out, running all the way out with it in my possession. It definitely didn't belong to him--so why did he want it so badly? Why hadn't he just goaded one of his agents into the temple at any point before, to get it for himself? Why wait till now? Why wait for me?
The jungle churned as another tree toppled. I stayed well in the open, even on that cliff. As long as there were no shadows, he couldn't get to me in his ephemeral shape, right?

"You think you are safe beyond my reach, little girl," Egamad taunted. "But do you not know--I hold the power of gods. Nowhere is safe for you anymore!"

A massive surge from the water below blew against my back, and I cringed, looking out to see what was the matter. The storm that battered the land was matched by the chaos churning the sea beyond. Massive rip curls and swirling vortexes coated the surface in a blanket of foam, and what glimpses of agitated water stood underneath were black as the clouds overhead.
Against the foamy, flashing clouds, two figures stood in silhouette, a soft white glow illuminating them both. They wore ancient robes, like chitons or togas, and they both sported long hair that billowed wildly in the storm of their own creation. They thrashed and flailed like infuriated conductors of the world's largest symphony, and the wind and waves responded to their motions.
"The lost gods have returned--but the Blessed Island will only know their wrath!" Egamad gloated.

Lost gods... I gasped, my hand going for the locket. It burned at my touch, glowing so brightly I could see the symbols through the rain-soaked fabric of my shirt.
"Mom!" I screamed, just imagining that they could hear me. "Dad!"

Egamad laughed behind me as I waved and yelled, willing them to turn from their destruction. "What are you doing? He's controlling you! You have to stop! I'm down here! You don't want to hurt me! Stop this!"
"They don't hear you," Egamad growled. "You don't have the power to make them. They are mine. You might have gotten away from me, but you won't escape them. And when you perish by their hand, my subterfuge against the gods will be complete!"
The black shadows receded and vanished, leaving me to be battered by the waves crashing and crumbling away the very cliff I stood upon.

Mom--Auraea--loomed closer, her arms stretched before her as she molded the air to her perverted will. Two huge typhoons rose from the surface of the water, battering me with sideways raindrops that sliced across my skin, threatening to pull me over the edge.
"Mom!" I couldn't tell if the water seeping around my eyes and trickling down my cheeks was rain or tears. "Please!" My voice was hoarse, I didn't think I could yell over this storm anymore. "Please don't do this!"

A hand grabbed the back of my shirt, anchoring me to the ground. I looked over my shoulder, but I couldn't see anything--until I squinted hard at the space right at eye-level. A face formed out of a light mist, unaffected by the torrential weather around it.

"Hi," I whimpered softly.

The wind-sprite seemed to smile at me. It leaned in closer, while still anchoring me from behind. Coming around to my side, it nudged the pocket of my jeans, then looked up at me with a smile, the head seeming to nod at me. I fought against the powerful pull of the typhoons as I pulled the bracelet out. The spikes seemed a little extreme, but I found a tiny hinge they were mounted on which allowed me to flip them out of the way so that I could clasp the bracelet around my wrist safely. Once I did, I noticed two depressions in the top of the cuff--in exactly the same shape as the locket I wore! One was marked with Auraea's symbol, and the other with Trikymios. I pulled out my locket, watching the wind-sprite carefully as I brought it near the bracelet. It seemed pretty excited, waving its hands and nodding emphatically.

I matched the two curling Auraea marks, noting the bright flash of light as I did so. Up in the sky, a halo of light appeared, like the refraction of a flashlight beam. Carefully, I angled my wrist so that the beam fixed squarely on my mom's face.
"Mom!" I called. "It's me, Priscilla! Can you hear me?"
Her hands clenched shut, and the typhoons disappeared. She was close enough for me to see her blink a few times. She floated toward me, coming to land on the cliff in front of me.

The moment her feet touched earth, it was like throwing a switch on a wind machine. One moment, things were rushing and roaring, and the next, rain fell from the sky and the seas still churned, but the air held still. I kept my eyes clenched against the rain, until I couldn’t really feel it anymore, and when I opened my eyes, there she was: my mother, dressed in a linen tunic, her hair all wild and loose—Auraea, surrounding us in a bubble of air to keep the storm at bay.
She blinked several times before she said, “Priscilla?”
I could not restrain myself. Goddess or no, I ran forward and threw my arms around her.
“Mom!” I gasped.

“Priscilla! Where have you been? I feel like I’ve just awakened from a very deep sleep and I—“ She stopped and glanced down at herself, gawking at her own archaic appearance. “Oh my, how did this happen?” She looked around at the storm-tossed island. “Where are we?”
“Mom, we’re on Fourtouna,” I answered.
Auraea’s whole body tensed, and a handful of wind-sprites gathered around her. “We’re what? But... No, just a few minutes ago I was—That can’t be!” She clapped a hand to her forehead.
“Mom,” I placed a hand on her shoulder. “What’s the last thing you remember?”

Auraea sighed. “I was at home reviewing some manifests for work and then...” she gestured to the sky, where Trikymios tossed the waves around like a child splashing in a shallow puddle. “Your father took a very strange phone call, and as soon as he got off, he told me that we had to leave and I needed to write you a letter explaining everything—“ She gasped and clutched my arm. “You got my letter, didn’t you?”
I winced at her strength, about ten times greater than usual. “Yes... Well, most of it. The last bit of paper got ripped off.”

Auraea nodded. “I had just finished writing it when we were attacked. I must have blacked out at some point, I have no idea when reality stopped and the dreams began—but you brought me out of it here.”

I sighed and dug my toe in the dirt under me. “The demon must have put you under his thrall—it’s been almost a month since you first disappeared.”

Auraea choked. “A month? Oh, my darling, I’m so sorry! Perhaps all this is our fault—Trikymios and I always knew trapping Egamad in that crystal was only temporary, until we could find the artifact that allowed him to overpower gods like us. I always thought keeping that crystal among my personal historic collection would keep it safe. No doubt it was the very thing that drew his agents to us, and allowed them to free him..."

The pang of guilt socked me in the gut so hard that I actually flinched.
Auraea blinked. "What is it?"
"Mom..." I whimpered softly. "They weren't the ones to free Egamad." I tried looking into her face, but I couldn't meet her eyes. "I think... I'm pretty sure I did it."
<><><><><><><><>

<<<< Previous         Next >>>>>>

No comments:

Post a Comment