Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Top 10 Movie Adaptations That Need To Happen In The Near Future

Pretty much the best explanation of what books are, from Jon Stewart

A good book can carry the sound of voices through your head that you haven't ever actually heard. A great one plays out like a movie in your mind. The last decade has seen an uptick in popular books receiving film adaptations; some were great hits, while others missed the mark rather dramatically. To continue this theme, here are a few more books I've read in the last year or two which definitely would be worth seeing! (Meanwhile, if you haven't read the books, click the links to see them on Goodreads and perhaps consider reading them, while we wait! For those with featured reviews here on the blog, I've included links in the descriptions)

Honorable Mentions:

Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer--Of course this series would be perfect for a film adaptation... I include it as an "honorable mention" because, in contrast to the books listed below, it very nearly was... and holy mackerel it has actually been confirmed!! Absolutely, yes. Pardon me whilst I freak out right here in front of my computer. Dearie me... This was a beautiful, fun, mind-blowing, colorful series that I very much enjoyed... I will eagerly anticipate its development and arrival!

The Ruby Red Trilogy by Kerstin Gier--This, again, is an Honorable Mention because it has actually already been adapted for film... in German, since that was the original language of the series. I loved the books, and I could appreciate the wonderful visual portrayals in the movie, which, as far as I could tell, did a fairly decent job sticking with the more important aspects of the book... but the English dub is terrible. So PLEASE DO THIS AGAIN BUT DO IT IN ENGLISH THIS TIME. Pretty please?

1. Grave Beginnings by R. R. Virdi

Of course, this one is always first and foremost in my mind when I consider the topic of "adaptations that need to happen, like, now." I have pictured this book as a TV or film adaptation ever since I read the first chapter. I loved the concept and the premise of the story, and I absolutely laughed my way through this paranormal crime mystery novel! It's about a disembodied spirit of a snarky, "average Joe" enlisted by a Higher Power to investigate the supernatural-related recently deceased--while occupying the body of the deceased. Part Supernatural, part R.I.P.D.--basically (for those familiar with the former) if Dean Winchester decided to take his demon/ghost/spirit-hunting knowledge and turn it into a covert operation, sort of like a less-reputable Harry Dresden (The author is a huge Jim Butcher fan). The sequel is due out soon, and I am just dying to see this adapted!

2. Foul is Fair by Jeffrey Cook and Katherine Perkins 

Another relatively new book, but my gosh it could be the next Goonies if it's handled correctly! The setting in urban Seattle, with plenty of ties to existing landmarks, and the band of worthwhile heroes makes this an adventure whole families could enjoy. A young teenager struggling with ADHD finds out (from a crippled pixie and her "service crow") that she is actually half-Faerie on her father's side--and what is more, she's a princess, since her father is the Unseelie King. It's a gorgeous world and excellent characters--I want to see it! I really do!

3. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

Words cannot express how wonderful it would be if this series existed in visual format. It totally combines the best aspects of both fairy tales and quality science fiction--specifically of the cyberpunk variety. I would love to see the characters and explore the richly-described world with my eyes as much as I have explored it in my mind. The series sort of takes as its central character a young orphan living with her widowed step-mother and two step-sisters, as in the story of Cinderella--but in this case, Cinder is an android, with mechanical prosthetics replacing the parts she lost in a terrible crash that killed both her parents. The series continues from there, adding cyberpunk counterparts for Red Riding Hood (Scarlet), Rapunzel (Cress) and Snow White (Winter), plus a host of other wonderful characters that I absolutely would love to see. It's a great story, and I think it would work extremely well on screen.

4. The Broken Empire Trilogy by Mark Lawrence

I know that this topic has been broached on Reddit, but I would have to say that, under the right circumstances (and not at all under anything less!) it would be completely mind-blowing on a whole different level than the books were (yes, they blew my mind) if just the right person were to come along and be willing to work with the author on making this a visual reality! Oh my gosh, yes! You really cannot beat a speculative-fiction/fantasy/post-apocalyptic world created by a research scientist who used to work in the field of artificial intelligence. (Not even kidding!)


5. Tiger's Paw/Leopard's Heart by Kimberly Rogers

... And from there, why not just make a bid for the entire Therian Way series? Oh good golly, yes please! I would love to see the amazing range of characters and races in the modern urban setting--particularly if the visual effects crew from Grimm does the costumes and the animal forms for it! I dearly love the characters and I very much would love to hear the delivery of actual actors speaking the utterly fantastic dialogue and doing all the amazing stunts! The prose of the book and the interaction between the characters is absolutely stunning, and yet the story is simple enough that it would lend itself very well to an on-screen production!


6. Sky Knight by Sandra Harvey

A surprising favorite from last year! I was absolutely smitten with the story and the premise and the fantastic world and the vivid characters. The grittiness of the dystopian setting fits well within the popular themes of recent films--and yet the moral message of Sky Knight is definitely stronger and more hopeful, more of the higher-quality "upstream" bent than these other films tend to be. Not to mention the fact that I am fairly certain of at least a few superb actresses who would be absolutely perfect for the role of Taliah Storme!


7. The Vemreaux Trilogy by Mary E. Twomey

In an age when dystopian Young Adult fiction is popular in book and film--and yet each new "hit" seems remarkably similar to the last one--this trilogy would definitely stand out, what with the unique premise and the inventive world, and most of all the amazing characters. I mean, seriously, people--we've had future societies divided into personality types and regional exports... How about blood type? An alternate history in which Ponce de Leon did discover the Fountain of Youth, but it only stalls the aging process in those of a certain blood type... and the main "Chosen One" destined to defy the tyranny of these "superior bloods" is certainly not your typical hero... I haven't finished the trilogy but I can't wait!

8. Uprooted by Naomi Novik

I picked this one up on a whim, having no idea what it would actually be like--the promise of dragons was too good to pass up, though. What I got was a fairy tale experience like no other. It was both a fresh tale and the wonderful classic style of traditional folk tales. A unique adventure--with all the "re-adapting" of movie adaptations of fantasy classic films going on these days, I think somebody should wake up and decide that it's high time to create new stories and explore new worlds, rather than re-hashing old ones--and Uprooted is a prime candidate!


9. The Reckoners Series by Brandon Sanderson

... Because if any author is totally MADE for easing into the film industry, it's Brandon Sanderson--and specifically the Reckoners novels because out of all Sanderson has written there is just too much risk of Mistborn becoming a terrible "Lord of The Rings"-meets-"Divergent" mashup and that just would not be good for it. If you haven't read the Reckoners novels--Steelheart, Firefight, and the third one due out any day now, Calamity--then it is high time you did. The adaptations of previous Young Adult novels that have been released have served to showcase some excellent talent that would be the perfect age for the main characters in this series! P.S. I would also accept an adaptation of The Rithmatist, because LIVING, MOVING, DEADLY CHALK DRAWINGS, PEOPLE!!

10. For None of Woman Born by S. D. Curran

In spite of the Shakespeare reference in the title, this is actually superb speculative science fiction. Forget Ex Machina and CHAPPiE--Here's another indie read I reviewed last year that I would dearly love to see on the silver screen before I die! The moral ethics of cloning, when business gets mixed up in theoretical science, a thrilling manhunt that will have audiences on the edge of their seats... Oh yes, I can see it--and I want everyone else to see it, too!


How about you? What are some of your favorite books that you wish could be adapted into movies? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment