Saturday, October 26, 2013

Coming Soon: The Officially Unofficial NaNoWriMo HotBlog!!!

Okay, so the Suggestion Box series ended.... but it's not gone yet!

Thank you to my lovely participants, I had a total blast writing from your Suggestions!

On to other matters....

NaNoWriMo.
Some of you might know that NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. Traditionally it begins at midnight on November 1, and ends at midnight November 30. In those 30 days (or 760 hours, whichever way you look at it) it is the goal of the writing devotee to compose a novel of 50,000 words. (Averages to about 1,670 words a day) There are writing communities devoted to this, meetups, forums, discussions, support groups, professional therapy sessions--okay that last one was a joke. (At least I meant it as a joke....)

Joking aside, it's really fun. I'd heard about it occasionally from various writer friends, but until 2010, I had never written anywhere near even 10K words in 1 month. I had no idea if it was even possible... That's why, in 2011, I decided to "unofficially" participate in NaNoWriMo. I did not register, only a select group knew of my "participation", and I set aside the projects in progress I had to focus solely on an idea that I'd brainstormed many years before but never wrote. I had a loose plan (which lasted me about 3 days of writing before I went ahead and planned it all out!) to work from, and I just wrote.
To my surprise, I actually achieved 36,000 words by November 30th, and it only took a couple weeks more to finish off the novel.
Once I had proved to myself that I could do it, it made the anticipation for the next year so much greater. So great, in fact, that in coming up with ideas to inspire my other friends, I ended up inspiring myself with a fantastic idea that became A Writer's Tale (Which, if you've been following me since March, you have seen already) and, without really intending to, I sat down and wrote it... over the month of October. So I had my NaNoWriMo2012 a bit early, so what?

This year, it's going to be epic. This year I have something that I didn't the last two years:

I have a blog.
And I have a Suggestion Box just brimming with fodder for a spectacular novel!

Yes, dear readers, I pooled all of your Suggestions from the past 13 weeks, and it's going to be a NaNoWriMo Extravaganza Extraordinaire! (Overselling much?) I've been plotting for about a month now, and I think I'm ready--are you?

I'm still debating whether or not to officially register on the NaNoWriMo site (those of my writer friends who are participating can go ahead and give me grief for that if you think I should!) But at the very least, I will be posting each day's installment here on my blog, along with a "Total Word Count" at the end of each post. Keep in touch to watch my progress, and please comment to encourage me in this challenge! I very much appreciate feedback of any sort!

Starting next Friday, only on the Upstream Writer!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment