Monday, December 6, 2021

Bookish Blog Hop December 2021--Day 6: "A Book Based On A True Story"


Leslie Conzatti (Me!)

Continuing the theme I started with my answer yesterday, namely “a book set in WW2”, the book I chose for today’s theme is
Until We Meet Again by Michael Korenbilt. It tells the story of the author’s parents, Manya and Meyer, two young Jews fighting for survival through the Holocaust. Manya decides to go on the run with Meyer while her family strives to hide, and in the process, the two lovers are arrested and sent to separate prison camps. The story brings the reader into the harrowing uncertainty of living in a ghetto, where you were never sure whether your neighbor was going to tell on you; and the intense suffering of camps like Auschwitz, where the only thing Manya had to keep going was her faith and the hope that someday she would see Meyer again--that is, if he survived and she survived. 
I’ll admit, I don’t really read a lot of nonfiction, but this one came recommended by a friend, and it was definitely worth reading!

Vidya Tiru @LadyInReadWrites  (Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

Again, too many options for this prompt, but I decided to keep it limited to two books. First up, The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. This can easily make it on my book from my childhood theme as well and has appeared often on my blog. Each time I read the book (even today), I am inspired to be more than I am: to write more; read more;  be braver and stronger; and simply be more human. For any of you who have not yet read this book, I definitely recommend you do so today; and if you have read it before, pick it up again for a re-read. 
The next book I want to mention is When Stars are Scattered by Omar Mohamed and Victoria Jamieson. This graphic novel memoir, based on Omar Mohamed’s gripping true story, is heartbreaking, raw, powerful and at the same time full of hope, inspiration and awe for the strength that is in each one of us as humans. A must-read for all ages (ignore the age recommendations completely) and a book that will stay with you for a long time. 

How about you? Have you read a book recently, or do you have a favorite book that is based on a true story? Tell us about it in the comments! And head over to my Facebook author page to find links to the other posts in this blog hop!




No comments:

Post a Comment