Monday, March 19, 2018

Spring Has Sprung!


It's been a long time coming... but here are a few updates as to what I've been doing instead of blogging regularly, like I usually do....

Blogging Elsewhere
Just in case you weren't aware, I had a blog post re-posted on the blog of Adam Mitchell, a fellow writer and indie author--and he asked if I would be willing to do a whole series of once-a-month guest posts! So in the last few weeks, I've launched the series, "How To Bring Characters To Life." Feel free to stop by and leave your thoughts, contribute to the discussion, if you like!

Priscilla (Non) Sum

How many of you read the "Priscilla Sum" series? What did you think of it so far? For my part, I'm kind of feeling like I had all this build-up and I was so excited about the upcoming blog series, after the success of "The Clan of Outcasts", I thought I had what it took to create another series right off the bat... but no dice. It's taking far too long (compared to my usual weekly schedule) to complete each part, and so far, there hasn't been much response, so I'm backing off from that one for the time being.

That being said... I do have several projects already in action!


COMING SOON:

April/May: "The Starborn Legacy" is going to be a thing!! The anthology I submitted it for is back after an unexpected hiatus, and we are on track for a May release. Stay tuned for more information as we get closer! I'll definitely keep you all posted!

Also in April, there will be confirmation as to whether "Heartsong" will be part of another anthology (release pending), so that's something else I have to look forward to in the coming months!




June: June is the submission deadline for yet another anthology--and this one will be different, because for the first time, I'm submitting to an anthology produced by a group to which I do not already belong... so this will be a new and exciting experience for me! The theme is "Cinderella with a twist", and I had the brilliant idea to add dragons into the mix.... But how? I tried out a few ideas and I'm not completely sold on any of them; unfortunately, I can't get a fix on which idea stands out from the rest as the idea I would choose! So let me ask you, my followers:


Which would you rather read?

Plot A: Low-fantasy, Cinderella set in a human kingdom plagued by dragons who regularly purchase the princess of the kingdoms with gold--but this particular kingdom doesn't yet have a princess. The prince has three days to find his princess, but only the king knows her eventual fate.

Plot B: Cinderella is rejected by her stepmother and stepsister because of a skin condition on her arms and face, that gives her the appearance of "scales" (dry, crusty skin, or hard layers). It helps her with dealing with extreme temperatures and pressure in the course of hard household duties, but it gives her family an excuse to oppress her. There is a ball, and Cinderella tries a few methods of going, but it ends up that the thing everyone rejected about her is the thing that makes her accepted by the rulers.

Plot C: Totally high-fantasy, it's a Fae kingdom, and this time the stepmother and her daughter are "dragons" with the ability to enchant their appearances to make themselves look beautiful, and Cinderella has no such abilities, and so that is the reason she is rejected and demeaned; she is "not special." The question becomes: does she "fit in" by altering her appearance like everyone else does, or does she remain true to herself, and what are the consequences of the choice she makes?

The thing that I need to remember is that the word count limit is 3,500-10,000 words, so I don't want it too over-complicated, but I need to have room to make it unique and intriguing enough to potentially get picked! Help me out, maybe?

STILL TO COME....


Meanwhile, I'm plugging steadily away at The Last Inkweaver. I'm nearly done with Chapter 10, and I'm only as far as the very start of "Phase 4" of the 8 "Phases" of the "Hero's Journey" I'm putting my main character, Callista, through! It's going very well, and I am liking the character development and the way the pieces of the story are shaking out--in short, I'm still alive, writing is still something that occupies my time (even if I haven't updated in a while!), and great things are coming "up the stream"!

Catch You Further Upstream!


No comments:

Post a Comment