Friday, September 14, 2018

Flash Fiction Friday: "Flashes of Inspiration" No. 15

The Prompt

#15 "Gybralltyr" (Part 1)


It’s a nightmare I see again and again, each time as fresh and real as if it were true.

I am sitting in the backseat of the family car. I can feel the springy foam underneath me, the seatbelt rubbing against my collarbone. Mom and Dad are talking, but I can’t hear them. They are looking straight ahead, but neither of them notices the car coming head-on. I scream as loud as I can, but they can’t hear me either. My voice never makes a sound. It’s like being forced to watch the same slow-motion crash test again and again, on mute. I feel the jerk as the two fenders collide, crumpling like tinfoil. For a split second, we are all weightless, floating in a stationary car while the world all tumbles and crashes around us. When it stops, all I see is blood. On Dad, on Mom... 

The moment I realize that, I usually wake up.

The terrible thing is, everything about the dream is conjecture, based on what my psyche guesses what happened. I wasn’t even there when Mom and Dad took that trip. I stayed home, committed to keeping my grades up and not missing a single beat. I still remember coming home that afternoon to find the phone ringing as if it would never stop. On the other end was my mom’s coworker, her emergency contact. She told me about the crash.

I felt it as if something had been physically scooped out of my insides. My high school principal called as soon as she heard, to tell me I would be excused as long as I needed, and if they didn’t see me before the end of the year, she would mail the diploma to my house. For all intents and purposes, I was a high school graduate.
That was four weeks ago, and I still feel it every time. The only human contact I had was the neighbors dropping off mail, or well-meaning church ladies with casserole dishes. I went through the motions of living, but between the dreams and the emptiness I felt, I might have been a ghost of myself, lingering on after my body died in that car.

Sunset. I opened the door to collect the pile of mail. More pretty, flowery envelopes inscribed in swooping cursive, each containing a heartfelt condolence message from the writers at Hallmark, with a bashful, rushed signature at the bottom. Not even anything personal.

Except one, this time.

It didn’t even have any addresses. Just, “Our Daughter, Nyella” on the front, and, “From Her Parents” on the back, under this amazing wax seal. I could feel something small and angular inside.
I stared at the name. Nyella was my real name, but by the fifth grade I was so self-conscious and tired of getting teased or people misspelling and mispronouncing it that I went by Noelle in middle school, and nobody minded. Now here was a letter, with my real name written on it, supposedly from my parents?
I broke the seal and opened the envelope. The only thing inside was a key, etched with the alphanumeric sequence FNB-103. FNB—the bank? I looked up their number and called.

“First National Bank, this is Carrie, how can I help you?”

“Yes, hi—I think I might have a key to a safe deposit box, from my parents.”

“Okay,” Carrie murmured, “describe it to me?”

I told her about the numbers.

“That is the way we label our safe deposit keys. Where did you say you found it?”

I rolled my eyes. On second thought, it probably did sound like I randomly picked it up off the street. “It was given to me by my parents—“ Dammit, Nyella, do NOT lose your cool! “Steve and Pearl Beaufort.”

“I see.” Carrie was doing her best to safeguard the information like a true professional. “Would you happen to know the account number for either of them?”

I crossed the room to grab the list of confidential information my dad’s lawyer had given to me, in case I needed it. I read off Dad’s bank account number, and answered his security questions.

“Do I need an appointment to come see what’s in the box?” I asked.

“No, you can come in anytime during business hours,” Carrie answered.

I thanked her and hung up.

Why did my parents arrange to send me a safe deposit key, under my real name? Whom had they trusted with it this whole time?

I drove to the bank, asked to see the safe deposit box, and got right in.

Two minutes later, I stood over a table surveying the haul: a vial the size of my palm filled with a fine dust that sparkled in the fluorescent light; three gold coins with an ornate crest on one side, and strange symbols on the other; some kind of certificate, with the name “Nyella Alabehta T’zen”—Or “Noelle Elizabeth”, as I told everyone. Was this my birth certificate? I read the other information, squinting to decipher the flourishing cursive. 
My parents’ names were changed, also; “Steve and Pearl” became “Stevan” and “Pierelle”, again with the strange “T’zeti” afterward. My “Realm of Origin” was apparently “Gibraltar” (if I was reading the sloping, spotty script right) and most puzzling of all, under “Race of Origin” in the certificate, it just said “Human.” As opposed to what, exactly? What did it all mean? 
There was a letter in the box, but after the words “Dear Nyella”, the curling script I recognized as mom’s handwriting dissolved into some kind of crazy code, or a foreign language I couldn’t make out.

My gut sank. This was my legacy? A birth certificate that said I was a human from Gibraltar, three gold coins, a letter I couldn’t read, and a bottle of dust? I could feel the sobs rising in my throat. The last thing I wanted was to have a meltdown right there in the bank! One of the tellers brought me a small cardboard box and I put the things into it, leaving behind an empty box.

When I got home, I spread the things out on the counter. The evening had faded into dusk, but even under the kitchen lights, I received no further insight. I even tried pulling out my old reading glasses to see if that made a difference, but it still made no sense. The “Human” designation bugged me; it made me feel like an alien, out of place on Earth itself. More than ever, I wished my parents were still here, to explain these things to me.

The coins were fairly straightforward. Probably left over from wherever the heck they got the birth certificate from, and maybe the metal was worth quite a sum. I hadn’t heard anything about a will, not even from the lawyer—how did they expect me to survive on my own?

The dust, now... I pulled out the stopper and poured a little on my hand. It glistened on my skin, but it felt weightless. I held the bottle up to my face and sniffed gently, detecting a faint odor. Of course, a few of the fine grains ended up in my nostril and I sneezed, sending a fine dusting over the papers and my glasses on the counter. Shoot! What if it was important? I tried to brush it off, and a little stuck to my finger. My skin tingled where it touched, like getting fiberglass slivers in my hand. Involuntarily, I licked my hand to dull the pain.

A burning sensation spread from the crease in my tongue out to the edges.

“HOT!” I wailed, hacking as tears welled in my eyes on my way to the sink. I tried running water in my mouth, I tried numbing it with ice—but after five minutes of agony, it went away on its own. I plugged the vial and set it aside. Whatever; I may have just ingested a poisonous chemical, for all I knew. 
I looked back at the letter, with my dusty glasses resting on top. My eyes registered the words “dust” and “taste” a moment before I realized that I had seen those words through the lens of my glasses, while to my naked eye, the rest of the letter was still in gibberish.
The heck?!?
I put on the glasses and looked at the letter. It all made sense now!

Dear Nyella,” it began.
If you are reading this, we are dead. I am sorry to leave you alone like this—my hope is that your father and I will have the chance to show you the contents of this box in person, and explain the circumstances, rather than leaving you to figure them out on your own.

By now, you should have figured out the pixie dust. I hope you didn’t mind the taste! Your father never did, though I cannot stand the stuff. Unfortunately, it will affect the way things taste for a while. In my case, it took a whole week before I could taste normally again. But trust your mother, Nyella—the fairy dust is far more useful than the old tales would have you believe. Putting it on your tongue will allow you to speak with the creatures that fairy dust on your eyes allows you to see.

It is now time to explain your realm of origin. Yes, dear daughter, I am going to tell you about a place far from the world you know. You were born there--and you are destined to return someday, so if we haven't had the chance to tell you, this letter will explain everything you need to know.

"This place is called Gybralltyr...”

<<<<<<<<<TO BE CONTINUED>>>>>>>>>>

Did you enjoy the story? Tune in every Friday for more "Flashes of Inspiration"!


No comments:

Post a Comment